Cloud-like pillows of coconut whipped cream sprinkled with shaved dark chocolate and nestled atop a bed of rich chocolate mousse. Just 5 whole food ingredients stand between you and this dreamy vegan french silk pie.
Is this real life?
Yes. Yes, it is indeed. And it’s lovely, isn’t it?
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk or unsweetened coconut cream, refrigerated overnight, divided
- ⅓ cup raw cacao butter
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, at room temperature
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup chilled full-fat coconut milk, watery liquid excluded*
- ½ tablespoon pure maple syrup, more or less to taste
- shaved dark chocolate*
- Line the bottom of a 5-inch springform pan with a circle of parchment paper, grease the sides, and place it on a small baking tray.
- In a double boiler or bain marie, melt the cacao butter over a low simmer until just melted, being careful not to scorch or burn. Remove from heat and whisk in raw cacao powder, maple syrup, and sea salt, and whisk until smooth.
- Meanwhile, remove the can of coconut milk from the refrigerator and, without shaking it, gently flip if over. Open it and dump out the watery liquid (or reserve for another use). Then, scoop 1 cup of the firm coconut cream into a large mixing bowl. Using a hand or stand mixer with whisk attachment, whisk the cream on high for 3 to 4 minutes or until thick and fluffy with stiff peaks. Then, use a spatula to gently fold the whipped coconut cream into the chocolate mixture until just combined. Pour the chocolate mousse into the springform pan and refrigerate, tray and all, for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight, to set. The tray is simply there to catch any chocolate liquid that escapes your springform pan. Messy refrigerator disaster averted.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the remaining chilled coconut cream (it should be about ½ cup) and maple syrup. Using a hand or stand mixer with whisk attachments, whisk the cream on high for 3 to 4 minutes or until thick and fluffy. Scoop into an airtight jar or container and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- To Assemble
- Once the chocolate mousse layer has set, carefully open the springform pan, leaving the bottom intact, and transfer the “pie” to a serving plate. Then, use a pastry bag to pipe the coconut whipped cream on top OR spoon it on top and use a metal spatula to gently smooth it out. Garnish with shaved dark chocolate, slice, and serve. Store in refrigerator.