Sometimes it’s just too hot to bake a cherry pie. Eat your pie in ice cream form with this Cherry Pie Ice Cream made with homemade cherry pie filling.
Cherry Pie Filling
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vodka (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- 1 cup pitted tart cherries
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the pie filling first: In a medium saucepan, bring the water, sugar, cornstarch, and vodka to a boil, whisking often. Boil for 1-3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in almond extract and food coloring then stir in the cherries. Cool to room temperature.
- Make the ice cream: In a large saucepan, warm the milk, 1/2 cup cream, sugar, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yolks until lightly beaten. Whisk in some of the warm milk mixture then pour it all back into the saucepan. Bring to a boil, whisking often, until thickened.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup cream and vanilla in a heatproof bowl sitting in an ice bath and place a fine mesh strainer on top. Remove the ice cream from the heat and pour through the strainer, discarding anything left behind. Cool to room temperature then refrigerate for 1 hour or until cold.
- Once cold, churn the ice cream mixture according to your ice cream machine’s instructions. Once churned, fold in the cherry pie filling. Freeze until firm, preferably overnight.
Author: Carla Cardello | Chocolate Moosey
Serves: 1 pint
Recipe type: Dessert, Ice Cream